“If you don’t need it, you don’t get it,” she said.
Have you heard similar messages growing up?
It’s part of what I consider the poverty mentality. The poverty mentality is the belief that you don’t deserve to have any more than you need.
It may be an intentional choice because of religious beliefs. Or it may come from a belief about deservedness and your own lack of self worth.
It’s when you earn/get/acquire just enough to get by. And it feels crappy.
Too Much Abundance
The poverty mentality leads you to consider anything ‘extra’ as too much.
You may recognize the poverty mentality;
- You tend to act in ways to repel wealth and abundance
- If you inherit or come into some money, you’ll quickly find ways to get rid of it
- You don’t appreciate or recognize your own value
- You focus on cost, not value
- You feel guilty if you get ‘too much’
And if you’re struggling to get by, month after month, there’s a good chance you’re wrestling with the poverty mentality.
Don’t Get Hung Up
Don’t worry about what caused it. Or what may have happened growing up for you to end up with a poverty mentality. Just focus on what mindset you do want.
Do you want the abundance mindset that says;
- I recognize there’s enough for everyone
- I have no limits to the wealth and abundance I’m attracting
- I love the idea of being rich and happy
- It excites me to give large amounts of money to worthy causes
There is no right or wrong regarding your mindset. You may take a vow of poverty and be completely unhappy.
But, you may have had the poverty mentality imposed on you, without realizing it, and have been struggling a long time to succeed, without realizing that was holding you back.
The first step is to recognize whether you have the poverty mindset or not.
Next, ask yourself if it serves you. Does it move you closer to the life you want, or farther?
If you want to shift to a mindset of abundance, start taking little steps to recognize and appreciate value. A little bit each day, adds up to a lot very quickly. And you deserve a lot.
PS – The Let Your Millionaire Out Success System is designed to help you shift, day-by-day, from struggling to abundance. Click here to learn more.